Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"The Illusionist"

There are some movies that you see advertised that you're like 'oh, that looks interesting' then you never hear anything about them again. You never hear when they come out, or how well the do at the box office, or even when they come out on dvd. "The Illusionist" was like that for me. I remember seeing the commercials, then forgot all about it til I walked into walmart last weekend. I almost didnt buy it, because I hadnt heard anything about it and thought maybe it wouldnt be any good. I'm glad I didnt listen to myself and bought it anyways. This movie was wonderful. It started out at the end, giving just a bit of a teaser, then flashes back to when the main characters were children. Very old fashioned style fade in and fade out on the flash back, classic. I love the set up of the story. The poor peasant boy with the gift of magic and the noble young girl who befriends him and risks being caught with him. After several years they are caught, and our hero leaves for 15 years. Flash forward to Vienna, the accalimed illusionist Eisenheim is performing for the Crown Prince Leopold, as villian as corrupt as most politicians/royalty of the day are portrayed as. Eisenheim asks for a volunteer and the Crown Prince volunteers his fiance, Sofie. The moment he sees her, he realizes who she is. The fact that the Crown Prince has her follwed by the police seems to not bother Eisenheim. He is warned by the chief of police (played amazingly by Paul Giamatti) about getting involved with this woman. But true love prevails, with our pair plotting to 'disappear'. A horrible murder is found, and the plot twists and turns so that the viewer is left in disbelief that this could be the end until the very end. I almost stood up and applauded when the police chief was standing in the train station clapping. A true love story like we havent seen in a while. Yes there was the appeal of the magic tricks, the typical villan, but the love story, truly classic. Definately a movie I will watch many many times.

On the other hand, while I loved it, Vinnie and Tony found it very slow. In fact Tony only set thru the first 30 minutes before he left the room. Vinnie admitted that it was pretty good, glad that he set thru it. Not a hang by the edge of you seat kind of movie, but suspenseful nontheless.

No comments: